My publications are listed below. Links to the publishers' websites of my articles are provided. For copies please email me at hiermanbd (at) vmi (dot) edu. For a list of my non-refereed publications, presentations, and working papers please see my CV.
- “Substate Populism and the Challenge to the Centre in Post-Riot Asian Contexts” (with Vera Heuer), Journal of Peacebuilding and Development, Vol. 13, No. 3, 2018, 40-54. (Pre-Publication version).
- "Land Reform by Default: Uncovering Patterns of Agricultural Decollectivization in Tajikistan" (with Navruz Nekbakhtshoev), The Journal of Peasant Studies, Vol. 45, No.2, 2018, 409-430. (Pre-Publication version)
- "Dushanbe is Quite Far Away: Deconcentrated Agrarian Reform in Rural Tajikistan” Tajikistan on the Move: Statebuilding and Societal Transformation. Marlene Laruelle, ed. Lexington Books. 2018. (Pre-Publication version)
- “The Struggle for Land in the Middle East and Central Asia” Perspectives on Central Asia, 10, April 2016, 10-15 [also published by muftah.org April 2016]
- “Connecting with the Neighbors: The Central Asian Response to China’s Engagement with the Region” 全球政治 評論[Review of Global Politics], No. 1, January 2016, 21-36. (Chinese version, English version)
- “Central Asian Ethnicity Compared: Evaluating the Contemporary Social Salience of Uzbek Identity in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan” Europe-Asia Studies, Vol. 67 (4), June 2015, 519-539. (Pre-Publication version)
- "Whose land is it?:Land reform, minorities, and the titular “nation” in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,and Tajikistan" (with Navruz Nekbakhtshoev), Nationalities Papers: The Journal of Nationalism and Ethnicity, Vol. 42 (2), March 2014, pp. 336-354.(Pre-Publication version)
- “Ignored Constitutions and Predatory Presidents: Examining Central Asian Authoritarianism” Education about Asia, Vol. 18 (3), Winter 2013, pp. 30-35.
- “What use was the election to us?: Clientelism and Political Trust amongst Ethnic Uzbeks in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan” Nationalities Papers: The Journal of Nationalism and Ethnicity, Vol. 28 (2), March 2010, 245-263.
- “The Pacification of Xinjiang: Uyghur Protest and the Chinese State, 1988‐2002” Problems of Post-Communism, Vol. 54 No 3 May/June 2007; pp. 48-62.